You have to go back in history pretty far to find a time when Ohio was known as the West. It was at this point in history that Samuel Sturgeon built the Western Inn in North Georgetown where it enjoyed its heyday. It is now known as The Old Stage Coach Inn, and was designated July 16, 1986 as a historic site. The designation came from the Colonial Dames of the 17th Century, a historical group from Columbiana and Mahoning counties. The old Inn was a favorite stopping place for stagecoaches en route from Pittsburgh to Massillon. Travelers in Massillon would often continue their journeys west by boat on the Ohio canal, or by another stagecoach.
The structure of the Inn itself has many historical ramifications. At one time, there was a small room upstairs where prisoners or tramps were put up for the night. Although no longer part of the structure, iron bars once crossed the windows.
The fireplace is made of bricks that were hand-made in the old brickyard which once operated in the village. The bricks were part of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church, which burned down in the early 1940’s. The owners of the Inn cleaned the bricks and used them for the fireplace.
Even the famed Colonel Henry Morgan of the Civil War Confederates has worked his way into the folklore of the Inn. When Morgan and his Raiders were pillaging the Lisbon area, Columbiana County Deputy Treasurer John Sturgeon, son of the Inn’s founder, stuffed the receipts of the treasurer’s office into a case and left town to evade Morgan. They stopped at the Western Inn and learned that Morgan had surrendered.
The Inn is now a restaurant, specializing in chicken and fish. Lunch and dinner are served daily, and breakfast is served on weekends. A dairyette has been opened in the back, serving ice cream products and carry-outs.